Plague doctor mask & hat (ov135)
Complete set with hat and mask of the plague doctor.
The garments were invented by Charles de L’Orme in 1619; they were first used in Paris, but later spread to be used throughout Europe
as a protection against infection carried the comprehensive clothes. They also wore a special kind of mask for the face with a large beak noses. In the nose they added scented materials which was ambergris, lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis), mint (Mentha spicata L.) leaves, camphor, cloves, laudanum, myrrh, rose petals, storax. This was thought to protect the doctor from miasmatic bad air. Last picture: Copper engraving of Doctor Schnabel, Rome, circa 1656