Viking Apron Dress / Overdress Tinna, wine red
Apron dresses were a staple of the Viking attire. The most characteristic features of these overdresses were the shoulder straps and the simple tubular shape. Such dresses could be fitted with slits, so-called gores (added wedge-shaped pieces of fabric) or pleats, and some variants also featured an overlapping front. They usually ended at mid-calf.
The Viking Age apron dress, also known as smokkr or hangerok (sometimes spelled hangeroc or hangerock) had two different purposes. While the plain variant was a kind of bib apron or pinafore designed to protect the outer clothing, the more elaborate variant - trimmed with braids, embroidery work, chains and oval (tortoise) brooches - was worn as a status symbol. The historical evidence for this type of dress is confirmed by finds and representations from the archaeological sites of Hedeby and Birka.
Our unicoloured slip-over dress is made of thick canvas fabric (100% cotton) and thus very sturdy. It has a loosely tailored fit, is laced at the sides and has been kept simple.
This apron dress looks best combined with a plain dress or shift and a belt. And when worn with matching accessories, it is just perfect for the portrayal of a Norse woman, maid or shield maiden.
- Available sizes: S/M, L/XL, XXL
- Colour: wine red (also available: green, mustard yellow)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall size S/M: approx. 120 cm (measured from the highest shoulder point down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions: Machine wash at 40°C, gentle cycle, do not tumble dry
|Size Chart - Women - Dress|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For dresses, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Delivery includes the overdress only! The long-sleeved dress and the other items pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
As authentic as possible, as modern as necessary!
This medieval apron dress is part of Battle-Merchant's line of period clothing and medieval garments for men, women and children. From the first sketch to the last stitch, this garment was planned, designed and handcrafted with particular attention to detail. Our clothes are modeled (sometimes accurately, sometimes less so) on historical examples, grave finds and original museum pieces where they exist. We always endeavour to keep the necessary adjustments to today's standards, e.g. in terms of size and manufacturing process, to a minimum. Just see for yourself!
Only real consumers can give a rating and write a written review. The stars show an average of all reviews. We publish positive and negative reviews after our review.