Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Medieval Tabard / Surcoat Eckhart, blue/natural-coloured
This calf-length tunic is made from sturdy cotton fabric. It is straight cut and has side slits from the waist down. It also features a somewhat shorter slit on the centre front and back.
The surcoat or tabard (also surcote, German: Waffenrock or Waffenkleid) came up in the 12th century and was worn by knights over their plate or chain mail armour. It was primarily designed to protect its wearer from direct sunlight on the battlefield, and the various colour combinations were a decisive means of distinguishing brothers-in-arms from enemies in the fray. Numerous illustrations bear testimony to the prevalence of such knightly tunics in the Middle Ages, for example paintings from the Morgan Bible (also known as the Maciejowski Bible or Crusader Bible), a medieval picture bible from the 13th century, and miniatures from the Codex Manesse, an illuminated manuscript of songs from the early 14th century.
A characteristic feature of the surcoat is its simple, straight cut. For an authentic look, we recommend you to combine the tunic with a leather belt.
Please note: Delivery includes the tabard only! The other items pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
- Available sizes: S/M/L, XL/XXL
- Colour: blue/natural-coloured (also available: natural-coloured/black, black/red, red/natural-coloured, yellow/black)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall size L: approx. 124 cm (measured from the centre back neck down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions: We recommend hand wash
|Size Chart - Men - Tabard/Surcoat|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For tops, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Only real consumers can give a rating and write a written review. The stars show an average of all reviews. We publish positive and negative reviews after our review.