Medieval Tabard, Teutonic Knights, natural-coloured/black
This calf-length tunic is made from sturdy cotton fabric. It is cut straight and has side slits from the waist down as well as somewhat shorter slits on the centre front and back. It features the cross of the Teutonic Order on the chest.
The surcoat or tabard (also surcote, German: Wappenrock, Waffenrock or Waffenkleid) came up in the 12th century and was worn by knights over their plate or chain mail armour. It was primarily designed to protect its wearer from direct sunlight on the battlefield, and the various colour combinations were a decisive means of distinguishing brothers-in-arms from enemies in the fray. During the crusades, many knights wore tabards to identify themselves as crusaders.
Numerous illustrations bear testimony to the prevalence of such knightly tunics in the Middle Ages, for example paintings from the Morgan Bible (also known as the Maciejowski Bible or Crusader Bible), a medieval picture bible from the 13th century, and miniatures from the Codex Manesse, an illuminated manuscript of songs from the early 14th century.
A characteristic feature of the surcoat is its simple, straight cut. For an authentic look, we recommend you to combine the tunic with a leather belt.
- Available sizes: S/M/L, XL/XXL
- Colour: natural/black (also available: black/natural, grey/natural, natural/red)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall size L: approx. 124 cm (measured from the centre back neck down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions: We recommend hand wash
|Size Chart - Men - Tabard/Surcoat|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For tops, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Delivery includes the tabard only! The other items pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
As authentic as possible, as modern as necessary!
This medieval surcoat is part of Battle-Merchant's line of period clothing and medieval garments for men, women and children. From the first sketch to the last stitch, this garment was planned, designed and handcrafted with particular attention to detail. Our clothes are modeled (sometimes accurately, sometimes less so) on historical examples, grave finds and original museum pieces where they exist. We always endeavour to keep the necessary adjustments to today's standards, e.g. in terms of size and manufacturing process, to a minimum. Just see for yourself!
Only real consumers can give a rating and write a written review. The stars show an average of all reviews. We publish positive and negative reviews after our review.