Viking Dress Jona, green
This floor-length medieval dress made of sturdy cotton fabric (canvas) is loosely tailored and comes with a matching cloth belt. Colour contrasting details with hand-sewn herringbone embroidery stitches make the dress really stand out from the crowd. The split neckline can be worn open or closed with a fibula or brooch. Center and side gores (wedge-shaped pieces of fabric) inserted into the rectangular front and back panels give the skirt an adequate flare. The underarms are fitted with gussets (square pieces of fabric). The strong canvas fabric makes for a sturdy, heavy dress which is thus best suited for the spring or autumn season.
The cut of this dress is based on archaeological finds dating back to the 9th and 10th centuries. The female garb of the time was characterized by long dresses with patterns mainly consisting of rectangular and triangular pieces of fabric sewn together in order to waste as little material as possible. Such garment patterns are clearly recognizable on textile and clothing fragments found in Skjoldehamn, Birka and Hedeby. The dress is therefore ideal for an authentic portrayal of a Viking woman.
- Available sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL
- Colour: green (also available: blue-grey/blue, natural/wine red, wine red/teal blue)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall size M: approx. 150 cm (measured from the highest shoulder point down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions: Machine wash at 40°C, gentle cycle, do not tumble dry
|Size Chart - Women - Dress|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For dresses, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Delivery includes the dress only! The other items pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
As authentic as possible, as modern as necessary!
This medieval dress is part of Battle-Merchant's line of period clothing and medieval garments for men, women and children. From the first sketch to the last stitch, this garment was planned, designed and handcrafted with particular attention to detail. Our clothes are modeled (sometimes accurately, sometimes less so) on historical examples, grave finds and original museum pieces where they exist. We always endeavour to keep the necessary adjustments to today's standards, e.g. in terms of size and manufacturing process, to a minimum. Just see for yourself!