Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Medieval Dress Alvina, blue/natural-coloured
This long medieval dress is made of sturdy cotton fabric. It is loosely tailored and can be tightened with laces on both sides for an individual fit. The colour contrasting sleeves and bottom hem create the impression of a shift worn underneath a short-sleeved dress. The neckline and sleeves are trimmed with embroidery.
The look and cut of the dress follow the fashion of the 12th century, around which this type of garment, also called a bliaut (or bliaud), was becoming popular. The bliaut, which could range from calf- to floor-length, was notably characterized by a side lacing, a flared skirt and trumpet sleeves. It was also often embellished with trimmings.
Historical illustrations of bliauts can be found amongst others in the Hortus Deliciarum, a late 12th c. encyclopedic compendium, or in the 1150 illustrated manuscript of Terence's Comedies.
- Available sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL
- Colour: blue/natural-coloured (also available: red/natural-coloured)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall size M: approx. 145 cm (measured from the highest shoulder point down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions:
We recommend having the dress dry-cleaned by a professional to prevent discolouration.
|Size Chart - Women - Dress|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For dresses, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Delivery includes the dress only! The other items pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
As authentic as possible, as modern as necessary!
This medieval dress is part of Battle-Merchant's line of period clothing and medieval garments for men, women and children. From the first sketch to the last stitch, this garment was planned, designed and handcrafted with particular attention to detail. Our clothes are modeled (sometimes accurately, sometimes less so) on historical examples, grave finds and original museum pieces where they exist. We always endeavour to keep the necessary adjustments to today's standards, e.g. in terms of size and manufacturing process, to a minimum. Just see for yourself!
Only real consumers can give a rating and write a written review. The stars show an average of all reviews. We publish positive and negative reviews after our review.