Viking Drinking Horn with Brass Fittings and Stand - Not food safe
Generally made from cattle or goat horn and used as a drinking vessel in many cultures and across different time periods, the drinking horn held great significance, especially when used for ceremonies. It remained in use right up until the early modern period, especially throughout Germanic Europe. It was a particularly popular drinking container through the early Middle Ages in Scandinavia and enjoyed mentions in both the Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda.
Although fragments of Viking Age horns are rarely recovered on archeological digs, the number of preserved metal horn mounts and terminals lead to assume that their use was much more widespread than the actual horn finds indicate.
The drinking horn we offer here is hand-crafted from buffalo horn and polished on the outside, giving it a smooth, shiny surface. It features a rim and a tip made of brass and comes complete with a black lacquered metal stand with non-slip rubber ferrules.
Whether used for ceremonial rituals or hearty carousals, this true eye-catcher will add a touch of authenticity to any medieval or Viking setting. It is not only ideal for historical re-enactment purposes, but also highly decorative in a modern home and can be a great gift idea.
Please note that the interior of the horn is neither lined nor sealed. To make it food safe and ensure that you may enjoy your favourite mead (or beer) to the fullest, you may want to varnish or line it before use. A traditional lining method is, for example, to use melted beeswax.
Drinking horns are not suitable for dishwashers and should be thoroughly cleaned before first (and after each) use with lukewarm water and a soft cloth. Do not use harsh cleaning agents that could damage the material.
- Material: genuine buffalo horn, brass fittings, steel stand
- Holding capacity: approx. 250 to 350 ml *
- Weight: approx. 270 g (horn only) / 400 g (with stand)
- Dimensions of horn stand: approx. 23.5 x 23.5 cm
Our drinking horns are not calibrated and thus exclusively intended for private use.
* Specs will vary from piece to piece and above pictures are for reference only. As horn is an organic product, natural variations in colour, shape, size and volume are to be expected. The horn's capacity may vary from approx. 250 to 350 ml, while the colour may range from black to any shade or combination of brown, yellow or ivory. Each horn is a hand-made, very unique piece and yours will be chosen randomly from our stock.
Not suitable for direct contact with food.