Simple Medieval Dress Afra, Sturdy Canvas, wine red
This loosely tailored medieval dress is made of strong canvas (100% cotton) and thus very sturdy. All hems are lined with plain weave fabric. The sewn-on skirt piece features dividing seams that make it flare and fall nicely. Side tucks/darts positioned at breast level provide for an optimal fit. The floor-length dress can equally serve as an outer garment or a shift.
With its robust structure, the medieval dress is particularly well suited for the portrayal of women of ordinary walks of life. Just like denim, the fabric will get an individual "used" look over time. And as it is somewhat thicker, the dress is ideal for the transitional seasons (spring/autumn). Combine it with a Viking apron dress/overdress (smokkr) or just a plain apron and you'll have a good basic outfit that can be perked up at will with period-appropriate accessories.
This type of loose fitting slip-over dress, also called a cotte, was a staple piece of clothing worn by both genders (as an outer garment or an undergarment) throughout the entire Middle Ages. The ladies' cotte was always floor-length and long-sleeved and was often combined with a surcoat and a belt.
- Available sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL
- Colour: wine red (also available: dark blue)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall size M: approx. 150 cm (measured from the highest shoulder point down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions: Machine wash at 40°C, gentle cycle, do not tumble dry.
|Size Chart - Women - Dress|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For dresses, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Delivery includes the dress only! The other items pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
As authentic as possible, as modern as necessary!
This medieval dress is part of Battle-Merchant's line of period clothing and medieval garments for men, women and children. From the first sketch to the last stitch, this garment was planned, designed and handcrafted with particular attention to detail. Our clothes are modeled (sometimes accurately, sometimes less so) on historical examples, grave finds and original museum pieces where they exist. We always endeavour to keep the necessary adjustments to today's standards, e.g. in terms of size and manufacturing process, to a minimum. Just see for yourself!
Only real consumers can give a rating and write a written review. The stars show an average of all reviews. We publish positive and negative reviews after our review.